Makes 8-12 servings.
- 3lbs ground venison (any lean beef is ok)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups tomatoes, chopped with their liquid
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- Sour Cream
- Brown meat in a large skillet. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In that same skillet, warm oil then add garlic and onion. Cook on medium heat for 8-10min or until onions are limp (not brown).
- Add all spices. Stir for one minute.
- Add green peppers, brown sugar, bay leaf, tomatoes with their liquid, all the cooked meat, 1Tbsp salt, 1 tsp pepper. Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and let simmer for 2 1/2hrs.
- Add coffee & salt to taste. Cover and simmer 1hr.
- Add kindness beans and cilantro and stir to warm through.
- Serve with french bread baguettes, dalop of sour cream, chopped avocado, and chopped basil.